Sudoku Programming with C teaches you how to write computer programs to solve and generate Sudoku puzzles. This is a practical book that will provide you with everything you need to write your own books of Sudoku Classic and Samurai puzzles. But be warned: after reading it, you’ll discover that the puzzles in your local paper are not so challenging after all!
We like Sudokus because they test our capacity to recognize and interpret patterns. But how are the clues generated? Where do those quasi-symmetrical configurations come from? When the author explored the Web to find out, he discovered that there were many sites that explained how to solve Sudokus, but none that told him how create them. He also saw many sites and apps to play Sudoku, but, perhaps not surprising, no indication of how they worked.
So, he had to develop his own applications in order to find out. And, from the very start, he decided that he would publish the code for anyone else to use and perhaps tinker with, but the author wrote it in such a way that also lets readers with limited knowledge of programming techniques understand it. In fact, you could decide to start generating thousands of puzzles almost immediately, and go through the explanations of algorithms and techniques later, a bit at a time. The author chose to write the application in ‘plain old C’ because he wanted to make the code accessible to as many people as possible.
In Sudoku Programming with C, you will find an explanation of all solving strategies, and the code to implement them. Writing the Solver application was more difficult than writing the Generator, because it required designing and implementing each strategy separately. However, the author wanted to include a solving program capable of listing the strategies necessary to solve any particular puzzle. He also wanted to check whether a puzzle was solvable analytically, without any guessing.
Sudoku Programming with C includes the full listings of both the Generator and the Solver, and explanations of all C modules, with walk-throughs and examples.
What youll learn How to model a Sudoku puzzle in C What are the strategies in the main program as well as in the utilities needed How to implement numerous strategies and techniques for Sudoku generating and solving How to solve puzzles How to generate Sudokus What are Samurai Sudokus and how to solve them Who this book is for
This book is for readers with limited knowledge of programming techniques. The C code is significant and so it is best to have some prior knowledge of C.
Table of Contents
1. Modelling a Sudoku Puzzle in C
2. The Strategies
3. Main Program and Utilities
4. Implementing ‘unique’
5. Implementing ‘naked’ Strategies
6. Implementing ‘hidden’ Strategies
7. Implementing ‘box-line’
8. Implementing ‘pointing-line’
9. Implementing ‘lines’ Strategies
10. Implementing ‘Y-wing’
11. Implementing ‘XY-chain’
12. Implementing ‘rectangle’
13. Implementing ‘backtrack’
14. Solving Thousands of Puzzles
15. Generating Sudokus
16. Puzzle Statistics
18. Samurai Sudokus
A. Eclipse CDT
B. Puzzle Solutions
C. Abbreviations and Acronyms
D. Strategy Index
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio Review [Buy Now Best Price]
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: The Illustrated Edition (Harry Potter, Book 2) by J.K. Rowling Review [Buy Now Best Price]
- Xanathar’s Guide to Everything by Wizards RPG Team Review [Buy Now Best Price]
- Grant by Ron Chernow Review [Buy Now Best Price]
- The Wisdom of Sundays: Life-Changing Insights from Super Soul Conversations by Oprah Winfrey Review [Buy Now Best Price]
- Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling Review [Buy Now Best Price]